Life happens! First Community Bank understands that unexpected overdrafts occur from time to time – overdraft coverage can help.
What are my overdraft coverage options?
The choice is yours. Consider these ways to cover overdrafts:
|Sweep linked to another account you have at FCB*||$5.00 per transfer|
|Overdraft protection line of credit**||Subject to credit approval + interest|
|Check Protect**||$30.00 overdraft fee per item. Daily fees may apply.|
*Contact us at (423) 272-5800 or come by a branch to sign up or apply for these services.
**Subject to credit approval.
What is Overdraft Protection?
Overdraft Protection services apply to all types of transactions and allow you to link other sources, such as another account or line of credit at FCB to your checking account to pay an overdraft transaction for a fee or finance charge. Please note that overdraft lines of credit are subject to credit approval.
What is Check Protect?
Check Protect allows you to overdraw your account for a fee in order to pay a transaction.
FCB may provide you a specific Check Protect limit depending on the type of account you have. Thirty-five (35) days after account opening, all accounts will be reviewed for Check Protect eligibility. To be eligible your account must have remained positive and had deposits equal to or greater than the Check Protect limit associated with your account type. If your account qualifies, you will be notified by letter. You do not have Check Protect until you receive this notification. Even if you have overdraft protection, such as a transfer from another account. Check Protect is still available as secondary coverage if the other protection sources are exhausted.
Please be aware that the Check Protect amount is not included in your balance provided through online banking, telephone banking, or ATMs.
What type of transactions does Check Protect cover?
|Transactions Covered with Check Protect
||Standard Coverage (No Action Required)||Extended Coverage
(Your consent required)*
|ACH – Automatic Debits||X||X|
|Recurring Debit Card Payments||X||X|
|Internet Banking Transfers||X||X|
|Telephone Banking Transfers||X||X|
|Teller Window Transactions||X||X|
|ATM Withdrawals||X *|
|Everyday Debit Card Transactions||X *|
*If you choose Extended Coverage, ATM withdrawals and everyday debit card transactions will be included with the transactions listed under Standard Coverage.
If you would like to select Extended Coverage for future transactions:
- Complete and mail this form to us at:
First Community Bank
PO Box 820
Rogersville, TN 37857
- call us at (423) 272-5800
- visit any FCB office
You can discontinue the Check Protect in its entirety by contacting us at (423) 272-5800 or visiting any of our conveniently located offices.
How much does Check Protect Cost?
There is no fee for having Check Protect unless you use it. The Check Protect fee of $30 will be imposed for overdrafts, created by checks, ACH, point-of-sale, ATM withdrawals, in-person withdrawals, or by other electronic means. If multiple items would overdraw your account on the same day, each item would be assessed the appropriate fee. This is the same fee that FCB charges for items returned to the payee due to insufficient funds. The maximum amount of Overdraft fees that we will charge to your consumer account is $150 per day. We will not charge an Overdraft Fee if your consumer account is overdrawn by $10. These exceptions do not apply to business accounts.
All fees and charges will be included as part of the Check Protect limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn in excess of the Check Protect limit amount as a result of the assessment of a fee.
All fees and charges will be included as part of the Check Protect limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn in excess of the Check Protect limit amount as a result of the assessment of a fee. Depositor and each Authorized Signatory will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all such amounts, as described in the Deposit Account and Disclosure Agreement. You must repay or cover any overdrafts and fees within thirty-two (32) days.
What if I don’t want Check Protect?
You can request to discontinue the Check Protect service in its entirety at any time by contacting us at (423) 272-5800 or visiting one of our offices. Without Check Protect, your insufficient funds items will be returned to the payee and/or declined at the point of purchase, unless you have Overdraft Protection available to cover the item(s). You will be charged the standard return fee of $30 for all returned items.
What if I want FCB to pay my ATM and everyday debit card overdrafts (Extended Coverage)?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts caused by ATM and everyday debit card transactions (Extended Coverage), tell us by using one of the following methods:
- please feel free to contact a Customer Service Representative at (423) 272-5800; our Customer Service Representatives are happy to assist you with any question or concern.
- Complete the Overdrafts form and mail to us at:
First Community Bank
PO Box 820
Rogersville, TN 37857;
you may use the above mentioned form to select Extended or Standard Coverage.
- visit one of our convenient office locations.
NOTE: Business accounts automatically have access to Check Protect Privilege for ATM and everyday debit card transactions (Extended Coverage).
What else do I need to know?
- The order in which transactions are posted may impact the total amount of overdraft or return fees assessed.
- A single larger overdraft will result in just one fee, as opposed to multiple smaller overdrafts.
- Although under payment system rules, FCB may be obligated to pay some unauthorized debit card transactions, FCB will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless there are sufficient available funds (including overdraft coverage) to cover the transactions and the amount of any fee(s).
- Giving us your consent to pay everyday debit card and ATM overdrafts may result in you incurring overdraft fees for transactions that we would otherwise be required to pay without assessing an overdraft fee. However, this may allow us to authorize transactions up to the amount of your Check Protect limit and may also help you avoid overdrafts in excess of your available funds that could result in restriction of your debit card.
- Except as described on this webpage, FCB will not pay items if your account does not contain available funds (including the Check Protect limit) to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fees(s).
- We may restrict your debit card us if you incur overdrafts in excess of the available funds in your account including any Check Protect limit.
- FCB will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually two business days) or a permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction.
- Check Protect is not a line of credit; it is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
- Check Protect may be discontinued if you default on any loan or other obligation to us, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within thirty-two (32) days for a minimum of one business day.
- Check Protect Fees may be imposed for overdrafts created by check, in-person withdrawals, ATM, or other electronic means.